giovedì 17 maggio 2018

What is Yellow and Stiff? What Looks Like a Deflated Beach Ball?


Welcome to The Spot Writers. May’s prompt is to write a story about a character playing a prank on another. This week’s story comes from Cathy MacKenzie. Watch for Cathy’s upcoming novel WOLVES DON’T KNOCK.


☻☻☻

What is Yellow and Stiff? What Looks Like a Deflated Beach Ball?

by Cathy MacKenzie

My Harry was the funniest person ever. Our friends said I was funny, too, but I could never top his pranks. He had always been the life of every party.
One evening, a mere three weeks before his death of a sudden heart attack, a group of us were at the Admiral Arms. We had ordered drinks and sat around the table, gabbing and waiting for the music to start, when Harry abruptly disappeared upstairs to the washroom.
In the lull between the first song and the second, he announced his presence with a loud guffaw, and sporting his trademark sly grin, descended down the winding staircase. I couldn’t take my eyes off him. I hoped no one else saw what I saw.
He sashayed toward our table, grabbed my arm, and pulled me on the dancefloor. Snuggled against my husband, he led me into the dance steps, twirling me to Eddie Cantor’s “Makin’ Whoopee,” a song from the twenties, when we had married.
I smiled. Even at eight-nine, Harry still had “it.” I still turned him on, and I melted into him.
I basked in the warmth that coursed through my body until he ruined the moment when he ceased dancing, which caused everyone else to stop, as well. The music continued to play as it had during the sinking of the Titanic. How apropos, I thought later.
 



He broke away from me. With an exaggerated flourish of his arm and an even bigger grin, he reached into his pants.
Voila! He brandished a banana!
I couldn’t help but look at his crotch: deflated like an air-deprived beach ball.
Pfft! Gone!




(My grandfather, Harry T. MacKenzie, always a prankster, actually played this prank on my grandmother, who was just as silly as he was. Unfortunately, he died when I was a year old, but my grandmother loved to tell this story.)



Catherine A. MacKenzie: https://writingwicket.wordpress.com/wicker-chitter/
 

 
 ☻☻☻


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento