sabato 29 giugno 2019

The Visitor


Welcome to The Spot Writers. This month’s prompt: a cat stares at something behind its owner’s back. What does it see? (You can write the story from the cat’s perspective, if you wish!)

This week’s story comes from Cathy MacKenzie. Cathy’s first novel, WOLVES DON’T KNOCK, a psychological drama, is available from her locally or on Amazon.
MISTER WOLFE, the sequel, coming soon!

***
The Visitor
by Cathy MacKenzie

We lock eyes. I know what's behind her, but if I avert my eyes, she'll realize something is wrong. She'll freak.
Me? I'm in my glory, as they say. I want to pounce but can't make a sudden movement or they'll both freak.
One freakin' female is enough.
She's cute, though. Both of them.
I caught a look at the small one before human started staring at me. Maybe human knows. Maybe she’s forming a plan.
One of us needs to make a move.
Most likely, the human will move first. She's the biggest. And I’m pretty sure she doesn't know what’s behind her.
Why does she remain so still? Is she fixated by my smile? Does she suspect?
Or is she off in thought? She's a writer, after all. She sits at her computer all day long, her fingers speeding across the keyboard as if there's no tomorrow.
Or no today.
When she's not there, I jump onto her desk and flake out on the keyboard. 
I must look behind the human. She senses something. I sense she wants to turn around. I sense she's scared.
Mice have sneaked into the house previously. I catch them and present them to her as if trophies. The same scenario will play out today.
I scamper across the floor, skidding on the smooth surface, and land where I want before the mouse has a chance to raise its dratted paw. I catch the silly thing, grip it with my teeth, and head to human. I drop it at her feet.
She screeches. She jumps up and down as if the floor's on fire.
And screeches some more.
Then she's quiet, rooted to the floor. Perhaps she's afraid it'll come back to life. It might. It's only stunned. Not dead.
At that moment, Man Cave Dweller returns home.
She screeches at him. "Come here. Get rid of it. Catalina has brought in another."
"Hush, woman. Hush."
She screeches again and points to her feet. "It's here, it's here."
He shakes his head, heads toward their bedroom, and returns. He’s changed into comfy clothes. He grabs food from the fridge.
"Can't handle you, woman," he mutters while descending the stairs to his cave.
She shrieks again. "You scumbag. Get back up here. Do your manly duty."
I slither between her splayed feet and bound downstairs. Man Cave Dweller is unconcerned. He plays with the remote and minutes later, the big screen comes to life.
He soon snores.
I return upstairs. I slink from room to room, looking for the female human. Ah, there she is. Hard at work, as usual, on her computer. I bet she's writing a horror story about mice that invade her home.
Oh my! What’s that by her feet? If I were a human, I would shriek.
Yep. I pounce.
Human shrieks.
I clutch mouse between my teeth.
Human woman and I lock eyes.
I dare you. Double dare, she seems to say.
***

The Spot Writers—Our Members:









Nessun commento:

Posta un commento