giovedì 28 marzo 2024

More Winter than Spring

Welcome to the Spot Writers. This month’s prompt is to write a story that features a springtime ritual. Phil Yeats wrote this week’s story.

In September, 2021, he published The Souring Seas, the first volume in a precautionary tale about the hazards of ignoring human-induced climate change. The second volume, Building Houses of Cards, appeared in May 2022. He’s now published They All Come Tumbling Down, the third volume in his The Road to Environmental Armageddon trilogy. For information about these books, or his older soft-boiled mysteries, visit his website: https://alankemisterauthor.wordpress.com/

 

More Winter than Spring

by Phil Yeats

 On the first Saturday in March, I put on my winter boots, my winter coat, my toque, and worn winter gloves that had been delegated to snow shovelling activities. I grabbed my snow shovel and my lawn rake from our mudroom and turned toward the outside door. A blast of cold winter air greeted me when I opened it.

“Seems a bit early for springtime activities,” Susan, my long-suffering wife, said as she retreated to the warmth of the kitchen.

Could be, but I began removing the piles of ice and snow that accumulated against the foundation on the north side of our house on the first weekend in March decades ago, when I was a working stiff. I’d been retired for years, but I’d maintained the tradition. More an end of winter than a beginning of spring ritual, but a longstanding one, nevertheless.

It was my time for liberating our row of hostas from their wintertime hibernation. The accumulation of snow always disappeared from everywhere else by the beginning of March, but in this one area against our foundation in the narrow canyon between our house and the neighbours, it could persist until April.

I was about halfway along the wall when I discovered the purse buried in the snow. It was a woman’s brown leather purse with a long leather strap for over-the-shoulder deployment. I freed it from its ice-bound resting place, carried it inside, dumped it in the kitchen sink, and returned to my task.

When I finished shovelling the snow and clearing the other debris on and around the dormant crowns of the hostas, I returned to the mudroom and shed my winter attire.

Inside the kitchen, I found the purse and its contents laid out on towels spread on the counter.

“I’ve solved the mystery,” Susan said from the table where she was sipping a cup of tea. She loved reading mysteries, and obviously gained some enjoyment from solving our little one. “A game the girls next door were playing. They forgot the purse, and it became covered with snow.”

“But it’s obviously a woman’s purse, not a child’s toy, and it looks to like quite an expensive one.”

“Perhaps, but it’s old and been repaired several times. Check out my other evidence. You’ll agree, the purse is a forgotten prop from a child’s game.”

I glanced at the three forlorn-looking artifacts beside the purse. “That’s it? Nothing else?”

Susan nodded. “The purse contained nothing but that child’s wallet and the paper map. And the wallet had nothing but the ownership sticker for a kid’s book.”

“A ten-by-ten-centimetre square of paper with ‘This book belongs to:’ inside a border of flowers. And in the empty space ‘Mary Sutherland’ in childish printing. Do we know who she is?”

Susan shook her head, and I shifted my gaze to the map. It was hand drawn on a piece of paper that was only slightly damaged by exposure to the elements. It had three rectangular shapes that presumably indicated houses, several lines that were probably paths, seven crudely drawn trees, and in one corner, a large X.

“I have one additional piece of evidence. I found the purse near the bottom of the snowbank. That means they lost it in early winter, but I don’t think that alters your assessment. Looks like you solved our mystery. Do you think the treasure was hidden in the corner of our lot, or one of the neighbours?”

“That,” Susan said, beaming, “would depend on where Mary Sutherland lives.”

 

The Spot Writers—Our Members:

Val Muller: http://valmuller.com/blog/

Catherine A. MacKenzie: https://writingwicket.wordpress.com/wicker-chitter/

Phil Yeats: https://alankemisterauthor.wordpress.com/

Chiara De Giorgi: https://chiaradegiorgi.blogspot.com/

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento