venerdì 6 settembre 2024

My Kids’ Last Day of Summer

Welcome to The Spot Writers. The prompt for this cycle is to write a piece that involves a celebration and a weather anomaly. This week it’s Cathy MacKenzie’s turn. Though she’s put Melvin to rest, she couldn’t resist revamping this chapter from the upcoming novella When Kayaks Fly and using it as her post, for it fits this prompt perfectly. Watch for the release of the novella, coming soon.

 

Cathy’s writings are found in numerous print and online publications. She writes all genres but invariably veers toward the dark—so much so her late mother once asked, “Can’t you write anything happy?” (She can!)

Check out www.writingwicket.wordpress.com for further information on her works.

 

***

 My Kids’ Last Day of Summer

September 1, 2021

by Catherine A. MacKenzie

 

My children’s laughter echoed across the lake, mine just as loudly. Sophie, William, and Penny were jammed in or on the green one-seater adult kayak. Penny was hunched on the back; Sophie sat on the front hump as if she were Jacques Cartier leading a great expedition; and William, sitting in the middle in the sole seat, paddled. I trailed behind in Blue Origin (the name of my Pelican-brand kayak).

We were heading to the small treed islands east of our house, where we’d dock at one of the islands and explore. It was the last day of summer as far as my children were concerned, what with school starting the next day, though not technically the end of summer, which would arrive on the twenty-second.

One last hurrah before school: a celebration of sorts!

Marie had lovingly packed a picnic lunch of jelly and peanut butter sandwiches for the kids, along with a dozen chocolate chip cookies. Each child had picked their favourite juice box: apple or orange. I had a bottle of water and a ham sandwich. Everything had gone into an insulated bag, which I stowed in the watertight compartment in the back of my kayak.

You’re now familiar with two of my escapades (if you’ve been following along). This is one incident I’ve never shared, one me and Marie rarely discuss. Some of it is public knowledge—can’t hide everything from the internet and snoopy neighbours and newspapers (those that haven’t gone out of business).

Marie’s been a trouper though she’s blamed me more than once. (Between you and me, too many times to count.) In retrospect, I shouldn’t have cheated on her after this unfortunate incident that changed our lives and not for the better. Should’ve treated her better, for sure. A thanks—a reward?—for her continued love? Better jewels?

Marie doesn’t swim. Never had lessons, she told me. What the hell, I thought at the time, before we married. What parent doesn’t enroll their kids into swimming lessons? Isn’t that the fun of summer: swimming (with lessons), camping, biking? Marie had never camped, either. Had balked numerous times at sending our kids to overnight camps but always relented in the end. I’m a persuasive kind of guy! She’d been much too protective.

Me? Yes! My parents sent all five of us kids to camp and swimming lessons (attempting to get rid of us at the same time, obviously wanting a break so they could cruise the world).

Despite not being able to swim, Marie would don her fluorescent green lifejacket, slip daintily into the green kayak, and wait for me to stumble into mine. And then we’d be off, exploring everything that Porters Lake offered. Those, as I’ve said, were rare instances.

She never joined me when the kids were present, however. Felt those occasions should be a bonding time between father and children. Truth be told, I much preferred her staying home. I was always afraid she’d capsize and drown, not being able to swim. Lifejackets aren’t always foolproof.

After that day-before-school-started day (or, as I can refer to it now: The Day-Our-Lives-Changed-Forever Day), she never kayaked again. Never stepped near the shore, even. She allowed me my space (I sure needed it), to paddle and muse. My punishment, perhaps. As if I weren’t punished enough.

That early afternoon on the lake while kayaking, the kids frolicked and fought as kids do, and too late, I realized they hadn’t donned their lifejackets. By that time, we were out too far to turn back and, as fate would have it, the calming warm breeze morphed into a raging wind as if Mr. Porter (first name unknown) needed to fill his empty belly or something. (Stupid weather anomaly!)

I’d been into the booze too; can’t lie. (Never ever shared that before now.) But I wasn’t drunk. Just had a couple of shots. The kids had taken forever to get their acts in gear, so my plans for a mid-morning paddle ending in the early afternoon turned into one that hadn’t begun until close to one o’clock. By then, I was cranky and hungry. And thirsty.

Other than the kids rough-housing on the kayak and the wind sweeping in from nowhere, so many other things went wrong that day. To begin with, three kids shouldn’t have been in a kayak-made-for-one.

The kayak was an inanimate object and blameless, but later, I did blame it, of course, though I should’ve blamed Marie, for it was her fault our kids never took swimming lessons. She wouldn’t allow it. Had said her parents were right: kids needed to learn on their own. “Nature’s way,” she’d said. Funny that nature never taught Marie. Apparently, nature never taught my kids either. I could’ve taught them, and in retrospect, I could’ve.

Should’ve.

Didn’t!

Afterward, I blamed everyone and everything. Until I wised up. Couldn’t give up the booze, however. Liquor was necessary to cope with life-after-the-accident.

Marie never said a disparaging word to me afterward though, to be honest, it took her several years before she formally forgave me. I killed her children, after all. What sane person could ever forgive that?

But in my defence, if I could’ve picked only one (or two) offspring, which one (or two), would I have chosen? I wasn’t a Solomon, cutting a babe in half.

I admire King Solomon. Despite having had 700 wives and 300 concubines, he was a wise man. Wiser than me, for sure.

I remembered what I learned in Sunday school when I was little, how Solomon decided the fate of a poor defenseless babe.

Solomon didn’t know how to handle two fighting mothers. Maybe he wasn’t so wise, after all. Anyhow, he finally asked someone to bring him a sword.

I’ll let the Contemporary English Version of the Bible (1 Kings 3:25-27) tell the rest of the story (as Paul Harvey used to), for that Biblical writer nailed it way better than I could’ve:

 

25”Cut the baby in half! That way each of you can have part of him.”

26”Please don’t kill my son,” the baby’s mother screamed. “Your Majesty, I love him very much, but give him to her. Just don’t kill him.”

The other woman shouted, “Go ahead and cut him in half. Then neither of us will have the baby.”

27Solomon said, “Don’t kill the baby.” Then he pointed to the first woman, “She is his real mother. Give the baby to her.”

 

I dunno what fate had in store for that kid later in life, whether he grew to adulthood or not.

Of course, as most parents, I do/did have a favourite, but that’ll always be my little secret.

Back to my tale...

I sat in my kayak-made-for-one and watched every child of mine drown. One by one. Each of them sinking, surfacing, pulled under and up again, gasping for breath, gurgling, coughing, all the while screaming: “Daddy! Daddy, help! Help...”

After the last one disappeared below the surface, I became frantic. Adrenaline kicked in, but by then it was too late. Porter had sucked their last breaths. The empty green kayak-made-for-one slunk off down the lake toward the Atlantic Ocean as if ashamed it had overturned and hadn’t protected its occupants.

After several moments, reality set in. And I acted. What else could I have done? What would you have done?

Me and Blue Origin raced back to shore. I grabbed their lifejackets that lay neglected on the dock and paddled back to where I’d last seen my sweet kids.

By the grace of God, I found them. Don’t ask me how. A miracle, for sure. Pulled each floating dead body onto my kayak. Jammed lifeless arms into lifejackets. Zipped the zippers. Yanked three belts across three chests as tight as could be. Clicked each clasp into place.

After kissing each slimy cheek, I gently let each kid slip back into the water, silently praying to God. Hoping He heard. Prayed I’d be forgiven when I reached the Pearly Gates and they’d open wide for me, that I wouldn’t burn in one of Satan’s fire pits.

I paddled to one of the farthest little islands, where I forfeited my kayak to Porter. Watched it vanish into the horizon as the green kayak had.

Thankfully, I had the foresight to remove the insulated pack of food. I demolished my ham and cheese, guzzled the kids’ juices (saving the bottled water for later), chomped on a few cookies. I tossed the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches into the lake for Mr. Porter.

After eating, I jabbed myself in the left shoulder with a sharp branch until I pierced the skin and drew blood, which dripped down my arm and plopped onto my leg until the blood clotted. I also bashed a rock against the left side of my head. Man, did that hurt! I had to sit still for several too-long minutes while I recovered. I’ll never do that head-bashing again. Never! Man, oh man!

Search ’n Rescue located me in the morning on September second, “washed up” on the shore of that teeny island, wedged between two large boulders. The sun had just begun to rise, and the sight of that orb ascending to where the moon had once hovered was the most amazing sight, one etched in my memory for all time.

Between you and me (hush-hush, please), I hadn’t stayed on the rocks the entire night. That would have been totally unnecessary, serving no purpose whatsoever except to place me in more pain. Instead, I hid behind the trees, watching stars appear between the branches. Wished upon the biggest and brightest star.

But it was too late for wishes.

I knew they’d find me that night or early the next morning. I listened carefully for sounds of rescue boats, for frantic voices calling out in the dark, and when I heard them, I snuck to the shoreline and lay down amongst the rocks.

I should’ve been an actor. They believed my story. Everyone did. Even Marie, though why should she have doubted me?

For days after the tragic accident, my kids’ sweet voices woke me at night—if it wasn’t Marie’s sobbing that transported me out of my sound, drunken-infused sleep. Luckily, she gradually got over it.

I still harbour regrets. I could’ve saved one of my girls, maybe both, without issue. At least, I think I could’ve.

But (despite previous words) we still have William! (Yes, miracle of miracles, William miraculously appeared. But that’s another chapter...)

To this day, I still hear my girls’ laughter when I’m kayaking, especially when the wind picks up and their voices wail in the wind: “Save me, Daddy. Save me!”

 

***

Val Muller: http://www.valmuller.com/blog/

Catherine A. MacKenzie: https://writingwicket.wordpress.com/wicker-chitter/

Phil Yeats:https://alankemisterauthor.wordpress.com

Chiara De Giorgi: https://chiaradegiorgi.blogspot.com/

 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento