lunedì 29 giugno 2020

The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins

.

Wilkie Collins was an English writer who lived in the XIX century, and I fell in love with him when I read The Woman in White. Besides, just look at him: isn’t he adorable?

I hear you asking: How have you discovered Wilkie Collins? 
Well, here’s how: I went to the library, as I often do when I’m bored, and decided it was time for a book by a British writer from two centuries ago. There. I picked the above mentioned book and I was blown away already from the first pages! I finished it in a couple of days – all 900+ pages of it - and afterwards I recommended and gave it as a present to more people than I can remember. 
Wilkie Collins’s unique style and mystery plot conquered me, so I soon picked another novel written by him: The Moonstone. I actually bought this one, as I intend to buy and own every book by Wilkie Collins. See how tenderly I set it up for the picture? I loved this book!  



The main character is the Moonstone itself: a cursed Indian diamond. 

As we learn in the first pages, there’s a legend hovering over this diamond – or is it not a legend? 

The Stone is sacred and that’s why it was cursed: to prevent it from being stolen. But did people believe in the curse and leave the Stone alone? Of course not! So the Stone was stolen a long time ago. 
Since the theft, a handful of keepers follow it across the world whenever it’s sold, inherited, or whatever, and try to retrieve it each time. 

After centuries, the Moonstone lands on British soil to become the birthday present for Miss Rachel Verinder. 

You hold your breath, as you wait to learn whether anything bad is going to happen after the girl rejoices for the precious present. As a matter of fact, you already know that something is going to happen, only things are not always what they appear to be. 


As per Wilkie Collins’s style, the story is told by many different characters, each telling her or his view of the events. Of course there are those who are biased; those who think they know the truth; those who, in the end, do not really care one way or another; and one person who is determined to definitely settle the matter. 



Why should you read this book?
The Moonstone provides you with mystery, death, loss, romance, desperation, twists, turns, and an unexpected conclusion. And don’t expect a boring or hard prose, just because the novel comes from almost two hundred years back. On the contrary: the prose is clear, witty, delightful to read. 



Have you read The Moonstone, or any other book by Wilkie Collins?
 Leave a comment and let us know!
 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento