mercoledì 5 ottobre 2022

Singing in the Rain

Welcome to the Spot Writers. This month’s prompt is to write a story that features someone dancing in the rain.

This week’s story was written by Phil Yeats. Last fall, he published The Souring Seas, the first volume in a precautionary tale about the hazards of ignoring human-induced climate change. The second volume, Building Houses of Cards, appeared in May 2022. For information about these books, visit his website–https://alankemisterauthor.wordpress.com/

*****

Singing in the Rain

by Phil Yeats

 

On a humid summer afternoon, I enjoyed a pub lunch with an oceanographer, an old colleague from my working days. I stayed for another beer after he returned to work. Then, I headed home.

A few minutes into my half-hour-long walk, the heavens opened. Torrential rain, like I often encountered years earlier during my university days in Ontario, was almost unheard of on Canada’s east coast. My colleague would say global warming brought more continental weather to our normally fog-bound shores.

Within seconds, I was soaked to the skin. For some perverse reason, I remembered an iconic old movie from the days of my youth. Singing in the Rain was a musical comedy romance from the 1950s, starring Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds. I didn’t remember much about it, but the tune of the film’s title song came back to me. I began humming it, rather loudly, I suspect because the rain was making an awful din, as I marched along the often-flooded sidewalk.

About half way home, I encountered a group of young people dancing in the street. They were hooting and hollering, making enough noise to challenge the rain for din-making superiority.

One girl waved, encouraging me to join them, but I remained on the sidewalk. I entertained them with a complete rendition of my song from the initial doo dah doo di doo until the final I’m singin’ and dancin’ in the rain.

She stared before returning to her dancing in the rain. Was she too young to recognize my old song, or was my rendition too dreadful for words? Or maybe she just couldn’t hear me. I raised my cane, saluting the enthusiasm of youth, and sloshed the rest of the way home through the ever-expanding rivers of water.

 

*****

The Spot Writers—Our Members:

Val Muller: http://www.valmuller.com/blog/

Catherine A. MacKenzie: https://writingwicket.wordpress.com/wicker-chitter/

Phil Yeats: https://alankemisterauthor.wordpress.com/

Chiara De Giorgi: https://chiaradegiorgi.blogspot.com/

 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento